Review The Prophecy of Shadows by Michelle Meadow

9:00 AM

Hey Addicts I've got my promised review for Michelle Madow's THE PROPHECY OF SHADOWS
Like I said in the promo post a while ago, anything that advertises as Percy Jackson meets Secret Circle has my attention. Read on to see where this one fell on the Addiction Scale!

The Prophecy of Shadows (Elementals #1)

Witches are real. They're descendants of the Olympian gods. And now, five teen witches gifted with elemental powers must fight to stop a war against the Titans.

When Nicole Cassidy moves from sunny Georgia to gloomy New England, the last thing she expects is to learn that her homeroom is a cover for a secret coven of witches. Even more surprisingly ... she's apparently a witch herself. Despite doubts about her newfound abilities, Nicole is welcomed into this ancient circle of witches and is bedazzled by their powers--and, to her dismay, by Blake--the school's notorious bad-boy.

Girls who get close to Blake wind up hurt. His girlfriend Danielle will do anything to keep them away, even if she must resort to using dark magic. But the chemistry between Blake and Nicole is undeniable, and despite wanting to protect Nicole from Danielle's wrath, he finds it impossible to keep his distance.

When the Olympian Comet shoots through the sky for the first time in three thousand years, Nicole, Blake, Danielle, and two others in their homeroom are gifted with mysterious powers over the elements. But the comet has another effect--it opens the portal to the prison world that has contained the Titans for centuries. After an ancient monster escapes and attacks Nicole and Blake, it's up to them and the others to follow the clues from a cryptic prophecy so that they can save their town ... and possibly the world.

GOODREADS   


MY REVIEW:
Secret Circle was a fav of mine in school, and I've never found another series quite like it. That's one of the main reasons I was so excited to get a copy of PROPHECY OF SHADOWS by Michelle Meadow from NetGalley.
Nicole was a pretty good main character. She was strong, slightly snarky and real (though I would have liked a little more disbelief about the whole magic stuff). I am not so sure how much I love the fact that she's so gung ho about hiding things, but I get that that's what teen girls do in crazy situations like she's been put in. I liked seeing her as a big sister too, it gave her another depth that her character needed.
Blake wasn't quite the bad boy I had expected, given the character he's based off of, but I like him. He's tough, but not overbearing, if not a little bit of a pushover, thus why I don't see him as the big bad boy I was planning on. Then again, I think it's nice to see a hero that knows his actions has consequences and he's cautious of them. There were a few times I felt his and Nicole's relationship was a tad forced, but there were others where their chemistry was as powerful as their wicked cool magic! That cave scene, I LOVED his sneakiness and the heat of that moment! I think that was the most real part of the whole book. There is a lot of potential for Black to grow through this series and I'm looking forward to see how he develops in the next books.
The other main character, Danielle (Blake's crazy obsessive girlfriend), Kate (the perfect good girl) and Chris (a character that fell very short in my opinion, only because he felt like an after thought and no real purpose or character development) were all decent additions to the story. I also like that this isn't a huge cast, it lets us get to know the main 5 more and connect with them better. (Which in Chris's case we need a lot more of!)
My biggest issue with this book, and why it wasn't a 5 star for me,  was the blatant similarities to the Percy Jackson and Secret Circle books. Don't get me wrong, Michelle definitely put her own twist on things, but the "influences" were still very much there and obvious for those who know SC & PJ.
The story it's self was pretty fast paced and flowed really nicely. There was always something happening that kept your attention and made you keep turning the page. PROPHECY OF SHADOWS has set up a great world that has a pretty great potential for growth and expansion. I'll definitely be waiting for the next book in this series!
Totally recommend this one to YA paranormal fans!
~DynoMoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments

book show

Xpresso

Xpresso

NetGalley Advocate

Challenge Participant

YABC

Like us on Facebook

Enchanted

Enchanted
Powered by Blogger.