Reveiw Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira

8:00 AM

Review time again Addicts and here are my thoughts on Isabel Bandeira's BOOKISHLY EVER AFTER. See where this one hits on the Addiction Scales!

Bookishly Ever After (Ever After #1)

In a perfect world, sixteen-year-old Phoebe Martins’ life would be a book. Preferably a YA novel with magic and a hot paranormal love interest. Unfortunately, her life probably wouldn’t even qualify for a quiet contemporary.

But when Phoebe finds out that Dev, the hottest guy in the clarinet section, might actually have a crush on her, she turns to her favorite books for advice. Phoebe overhauls her personality to become as awesome as her favorite heroines and win Dev’s heart. But if her plan fails, can she go back to her happy world of fictional boys after falling for the real thing?
 


MY REVIEW:
First, thanks to Spencer hill and Netgalley for giving me a copy of BOOKISHLY EVER AFTER by Isabel Bandeira for my review.
Let's just dive right into this one. Fantastical cover, I mean really beautiful! :) Sadly the best part of this book.
Phoebe, our main girl, was wonderfully like many of us readers and book lovers: shy, introvert, awkward and a dreamer. Loved that aspect of her. But that was about all I can say I loved. She was easy to connect with but but felt very 2 dimensional and just so......ordinary. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with ordinary, but I really wanted a little more from her. Something to really make me love her. I think I also felt like there was no real character growth to her, even when she did get her HEA.
Dev was a really cool, sweet, cuddly hero. He was funny and awkward at times and did seem like a good fit for Phoebe. But again, he was very 2 dimensional. Just like their awkward, cliched, sappy sweet romance.
Em, Phoebe's bestie, is who saved this for me. She was a great character and helped break up Phoebe's over written awkwardness and lack of self confidence.
Many things about this story were dragged out far more than necessary without building a great deal of anticipation that tingles in your stomach and keeps you glued to the book until the end. There were no surprises to this very played out plot, I knew what was coming pages out, even when I skimmed in places. Everything was just so sweet, like eating too much chocolate, you never want to eat it again. Or maybe this is better described as a Care Bare/My Little Pony episode without any of the drama to keep your interest.
I had such high hopes for this book when I saw the cover and read the blurb. I didn't care that it was a contemporary, which I normally don't go in for, but I thought a book about a reader like I was in high school.....score!
I truly wish I could say better things, but I would recommend this to very young readers, middle graders mostly. They should get a nice kick out of this one.
Sadly, this just wasn't for me.
~DynoMoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments

book show

Xpresso

Xpresso

NetGalley Advocate

Challenge Participant

YABC

Like us on Facebook

Enchanted

Enchanted
Powered by Blogger.